BiiG 2018 Update
BiiG is Heading Back to Niagara Falls for 2018BiiG 2018 will be held once again in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Mark your calendars with the following information:
Date: January 30 – February 2, 2018
Location: Marriott on the Falls / Scotiabank Convention Centre
Room Rate: $109 - $119 per night (depending on the type of room you prefer)
Why are we going to Niagara Falls again and not back to Toronto?CSC did an exhaustive search in Toronto to bring BiiG back for 2018. When selecting our conference location however, we have to take a number of things into consideration. These include:
- Available Dates: There is a short window of opportunity for when we can host our annual conference. Having it earlier conflicts with January rush. Having it later conflicts with other conferences our members like to attend, such as ICBA and Camex. We also take into consideration the timing of the Toronto CanGift and MODE Accessories shows. It really only leaves us a window of 1 to 2 weeks to choose from.
- Conference Venue: BiiG requires a significant amount of space for our tradeshow and education sessions. Most hotels in Toronto are too small to host BiiG. Those that can are booked and would require us to break up the tradeshow into multiple rooms. CSC did check out a number of smaller convention and event facilities but none provide the space and requirements we need. This leaves us with having to go to one of the bigger convention centres in Toronto. We were able to find suitable space at the Enercare Centre. The cost to CSC for this meeting space would be approximately $15,000 more than previous years.
- Hotel Availability: While we could secure a venue to host our conference and tradeshow in, we couldn’t find a suitable hotel for our members to stay in at a reasonable price. Most hotels in the area of the Enercare Centre are either booked or would cost CSC delegates $220-$260 per night to stay (more than double what delegates pay in Niagara Falls). None of the hotels are close to the convention centre so transportation back and forth would also be required.
- Why Look in Toronto and Not in Other Cities? Our members and vendor partners have made it clear to CSC that moving BiiG outside of the GTA would have a significant impact on our numbers. Surveys show there would be a significant drop in vendor participation. This would have a significant impact on CSC’s budget and operations during the year.
CSC will continue looking at its options in Toronto for BiiG 2019. We will keep members informed as we continue our search.
Changes for BiiG 2018Each year, the CSC Board looks to improve upon the last. BiiG 2016 and 2017 were very successful shows and we are planning to make BiiG 2018 even better. Here are some of the changes we are planning for BiiG 2018:
- Lower Registration Costs – CSC understands budgets are tight for our members. We have been looking at ways in which we can lower the costs for you to attend without having a significant impact on the value and experience you receive at the show. Members can expect lower registration costs this year for BiiG 2018.
- Hotel in Niagara Falls – CSC has a room block booked with the Marriott on the Falls which is right across the street from the Scotiabank Convention Centre. It will be easier this year for members to walk between the convention centre and the hotel.
- A Full Day Managers and Directors Meeting – If you are a Director, Manager or Assistant Manager for your campus store, you will be invited to attend a full day meeting the day before BiiG. There will be no additional cost for Managers and Directors to attend (outside of travel). You don’t have to be registered for BiiG to attend. Together, we will explore and discuss some of the key issues affecting our industry. Book January 30th off in your calendar and come prepared for a lot of open discussion on industry issues.
- No Formal Dinner Party at BiiG 2018 – This year we will try something different and take our signature event offsite for something fresh, fun and less formal. More information to come.
- Tradeshow Times are Shifting – Tradeshow attendance always drops on the last day of the show. We understand, members want to go home after a long week away. This year, we are planning to open the show up on the Wednesday night, run it all day on Thursday and close it by 2 pm on Friday. This will allow you enough time to work the show floor and leave early enough to catch your flight home.
When will BiiG 2018 Registration Open?
We expect to open registration in September 2017. Watch your email for more information and updates.